Saturday 15 October 2016

Miyakojima 2

There’s been a while since my last post. Six days at Yume Miyakojima were filled with lots fun and activities. Monday the 10th of October was the 10th National Holiday, called Taiiku no hi. It’s a Sports Day. All institutions are involved and everybody is participating. Schools are organising different kind of competitions, same are doing Kindergarten, Day-care centres, Nursing homes etc.




                                                     As far as possible! Come on!                

                                                                 Rock Paper Scissors





What I never told is how do I communicate. Well it’s a bit tricky thing. Mostly the communications with staff is in an old good English as much as possible. Staff here is trying hard to practice English and I try hard to practice Japanese. And we are working out quite well. If it’s not enough there is always body-language too. Poor language skills in Japanese allows  very limited conversations with customers though, so there somebody from the staff has to be always as a translator between me and customers. Even so we all had lots of fun and and good laugh. The main thing is you are with it and in it!
I remember, when I went to UK in 2011. It was my first experience to living and working abroad and   my English skills were quite poor but motivation was high. Even how hard I tried to learn the language by my self,  it did not get any better. After six months being in UK and talking and listening only in English, I dared already answer the phone!!!  But it wasn’t still good enough, to have a conversation with elderly people I was working with. You have to know the local accent!!! Elderly people does not catch what you saying, if you are not talking the way, they do. But after being two Years in UK I was abele to talk in local accent well enough, even my English grammar still needs improvement.
The same situation append, when I moved to Finland. I started at the beginning again. So I’m not expecting that I’d speak Japanese well  being here just a few weeks. But I’m doing my best!

On Tuesday morning I met Shirley. She’s been living in Japan some good old Years and she’s speaking fluently Japanese and English as well and few more languages. Next 4 days I had the great opportunity to ask about Japanese Healthcare and Welfare system. Also about general knowledge  about living and working in Japan.

Here are few more picktures, what did I experience during the six days in Yume Miyakojima.

                                                    There 100 paper balls made together!
                              Reusing existing materials. Its also a rehab for your hands and memory too.




                 Reuse. Japanese are reusing everything. There are examples for a litter bin origami.

                                          Preparing something for a snack-time all together.

                                                                    Baked Sweet potato


  Before can you start to eat, there are some very important exercises for your fingers, to hold the chops sticks.

In my last day we had a taste of one Japanese very famous Cheese Cake, I found in the caffe on my way to work. It was fantastically delicious! Yammy!





                                                   
                                                                           Yammy!

And at least but not last, I would like to say a big thank you for all of you at Yume Miyakojima for the wonderful 6 days filled with love and fun! Arigato gozaimashita!

No comments:

Post a Comment